Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Delaware River



Labor Day weekend, 2012







I finally made my way to the Big D and launched my kayak from Dingman’s Ferry.  I was most impressed, and will be surprised if the Big D does not turn out to be my favorite fishing hole in the area.  On the advice of Rich at Simon Peter Outdoors, I decided to use 5-inch senkos set up in a Jersey Rig (aka a Wacky Rig).  The idea is to throw the jersey rig into the current and let it sink naturally and wait for a strike.

First thing I noticed fishing from my kayak (in a river) is that it was going to be awfully tough to fish from the kayak and not drift down river.  Since I didn’t want to spend more time paddling up river than drifting downriver (and fishing), I came up with an idea of “Park Benching” the kayak.  I deduce the river channel at Dingman’s Ferry was closer to the New Jersey side of the river (across from the boat launch), so I headed to the New Jersey shoreline.  For those who have never fished the Delaware, it is rocky.  I am not sure what type of rock it is but it is blackish with sharp edges; very dangerous to walk on, especially wet.  I parked my kayak about 4 feet from shore, parallel to the shoreline with the bow of my kayak facing up river.  This created minimal drag on my kayak from the river.  I would then sit sideways, in such a way my feet could still touch the bottom of the river and I could hold myself in place.  At this point, I was pretty much sitting on a “park bench” only one cast from the deep channel of the Delaware.  I spent the morning casting my jersey rig into the channel, letting it float down river and reeling it in.  Since I could touch the bottom with my feet, I would also walk up the river and down river, depending on where I thought the first were.





Overall, a huge success! I caught these two smallies; a 15 ¾ inche and a 15 ¼ inch.  I will definitely be back and maybe even for some wallies or maybe some muskies.

No comments:

Post a Comment