Monday, July 9, 2012

Swartswood Results

My first trip out was early Saturday morning and I started paddling out around 4:15 AM.  I left the boat ramp in Swartswood State Park (by the beach) and headed straight out and made a right to fish the rocky drop off.  There is nothing but rocks here and some significant drop-offs along this 200 to 300 yards of coast line.  I exclusively fished a lindy rig worm harness with a a full night crawler.  I found some structure in about 12 foot of water holding fish but did not get any bites until the sun came up.  When the sun did come up, all I was catching was giant sunfish.  I began drifting in 15 foot of water and covering more ground, but I was militant in my effort and around 9:30 I finally landed my first walleye in the State of New Jersey.


He was 16 inches, a nice catch but too small by New Jersey State regulations, so I let him go for another day.  It has been a long time since I felt this satisfied in catching a fish, these walleye are really elusive.

1 comment: